Man damages machines at six Bournemouth betting shops during afternoon rampage
Posted on May 29, 2014
A MAN caused “extensive damage” to games machines during an afternoon rampage at betting shops across Bourne-mouth.
The vandal targeted six bookmakers on Sunday.
At 3.05pm police were called to Coral on Holdenhurst Road following reports a man had entered the shop and began damaging the machines inside.
Approximately two hours later it is said the same man entered Ladbrokes on Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, where similar damage was caused.
Read the full article in The Bournemouth Echo online.
Gambling addict who held up bookies jailed
Posted on May 27, 2014
GAMBLING addict Shaun Bailey has been sentenced to four years in prison after robbing a lone cashier using an imitation firearm at Ladbrokes in Regent Circus on 28 March.
Bailey, 26, of Medgbury Road, had no previous convictions and had been battling with his addiction for years, Swindon Crown Court heard today. In the days leading up to the robbery he had spent his entire salary on gambling machines, before borrowing money from his family and losing that as well.
In desperation, the court heard, Bailey took a BB gun with him to his local branch of Ladbrokes and threatened the cashier, making away with £610 in cash.
Read the full article in The Swindon Advertiser online.
U.K. Vows ‘Proportionate, Targeted’ Action on Gaming Machines
Posted on May 1, 2014
The U.K. government outlined what it called “targeted and proportionate action” to tackle problem gambling caused by the use of gaming machines in betting shops. Shares in Ladbrokes Plc (LAD) and William Hill Plc (WMH) rose.
Announcing the results of a review into gambling, Sports Minister Helen Grant said in a written statement to Parliament that customers staking more than 50 pounds ($84) will be required to play on account or load cash over the counter.
Read the full article from Bloomberg online.
Government to publish more restrictions on betting machines
Posted on April 30, 2014
Gamblers playing on betting machines will be required to set up accounts or inform staff if they want to stake more than £50 at a time, under requirements to be published by the government on Wednesday.
Concerns about the number of “fixed-odds betting terminals” on the high street and their links to addiction are turning gambling into an election issue and have thrown the industry into turmoil. The government has already ordered research into the links between FOBTs and problem gambling, but the debate has prompted ministers to take pre-emptive action.
People with knowledge of the situation said a statement on gambling policy will please the industry by leaving untouched the maximum stake on an FOBT “spin” of £100, despite pressure from anti-gambling campaigners and Liberal Democrat MPs.
Read the full article in The Financial Times online.
£300-a-minute gaming machines face curbs
Posted on April 29, 2014
Measures designed to clamp down on the rise of high-stakes gambling machines are to be unveiled this week, it has emerged.
Restrictions on the maximum amount that can be wagered on fixed-odds betting machines, dubbed the crack cocaine of gambling”, will be considered as part of delayed Government plans to alleviate growing concern about them.
Councils will also be given stronger powers to veto the spread of bookmakers following fears that “clusters” of gambling outlets are forming in Britain’s poorest neighbourhoods. Local authorities will be handed the right to stop bookies opening up new outlets in premises previously used by a different kind of business.
Read the full article in The Times online.